Remote Linux desktop?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 16:55:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 09:45, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:
> > Hello all,
>
> > I have a client who needs to display a desktop from one Linux box to another on
> > their Local Area Network. Which might be the best besr method?  Is there a VNC
> > client for Linux?  Is rsh or ssh better?
>
> > MTIA for your info - comments.
>
> This was just referenced in a thread titled "X"

This one is different in that the remote side is running linux
too.  If the user really only needs to run one or a few apps
remotely, he can 'ssh -Y host' and start an app by typing
it's name, or run 'ssh -Y host programname' (which can be done
from a desktop launcher if you want to make it easier).  If
the app happens to be nautilus you can also access desktop
launchers from the remote machine and double-clicking them
will pop open new windows for the apps you start.   If you
want a whole remote desktop instead of a local one you can
bring up the local machine in runlevel 3 and start X by
typing 'X -query remote_host' to get a graphic login prompt.
XDMCP must be enabled on the remote host for that to work.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com