reboot X as normal user

Aaron O'Hara ajeo at hungryforlife.org
Fri Jan 20 19:06:46 UTC 2006

All,

My home PC doubles as a cheap-man's Home Theatre PC.  I use it to
playback kids movies and TV on my cheap television.  It also as a 21"
CRT that's used most of the time.  In order to get the screen to output
to the television, I replace xorg.conf with one with TV settings and
restart X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  However, sometimes
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace just leaves me 'hung' and I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1
to login and then type startx.  My babysitters are of limited
intelligence and I can't train them to do this.

Are there commands I can run that will kill X and then start it up so
that I can setup an icon on the desktop for my babysitter to click?

--Aaron