Remote Linux desktop?

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Fri Jan 20 19:49:40 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 January 2006 12:50, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 11:35, STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) wrote:
<snip>
>However, vnc probably
> isn't the best choice for doing all your work.  Running X
> remotely or freenx/nxclient will give better performance

I'm not sure about that. I used to do X forwarding a lot, but I switched to
VNC. I consistently found that VNC server on Linux (ie. the vncserver or Xvnc
is running on Linux) actually has a lot better latency than doing X
forwarding. On a LAN it probably doesn't really mater, but on remote network,
ie. from my home network (using cable) to my office, VNC feels much faster
than exporting X. I usually tunnel it through SSH for better security.

In my experience though, for some reason the vncserver on Windows machine does
not perform nearly as good vncserver on linux. From the same network (home to
office), controlling Windows machine remotely feels slower, even with
TightVNC with the best compression, compared to doing the same thing with
linux with regular/the original vnc.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja