reboot X as normal user

Chasecreek Systemhouse chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 20:18:57 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Aaron O'Hara <ajeo at hungryforlife.org> wrote:
> Can you please explain how a console login could be setup to change the
> xorg.conf file and restart X so that the xorg.conf changes take effect?

Create a user ID that is in the su doer's group that can ONLY execute
a single script and logs itself out.

That script would make the changes you need:
1) Set TV if you want TV, or
2) Set normal CRT mode if you want the monitor; lastly
3) HUP the 'gdm' (or whatever you use)

The script is normally called from the user's .bashrc or .profile

A while back I had set my daughters login to disable the route to the
Internet -- didn't want her to surf if I wasn't around/available to
help her.

--
WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting