Blurry monitor on FC4

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 22:05:30 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:
> From: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com154>

> >> The above looked fine on my end.  Not sure what exactly your looking at.
> >> You might want to include what your seeing with yoru desktop or
> >> something and try a screenshot of that.
> >>
> >> Is your monitor selected as the correct one and video?
> >>
> >> Mike Chambers
> >> Madisonville, KY
> >>
> >> "It's only funny until someone gets hurt, then it's hilarious!"
> >
> > I think that I selected it during the install. In Control Center ->
> > Periferia -> Display (translated) I can set the screen resolution and
> > refresh rate ( 1024*768 , 85 mHz). But I see no mention of the model.
>
> That hurts to look at. There is no 85 milli Hertz vertical sweep rate.
> Nor, for that matter, is there an 85 mega Hertz vertical or horizontal
> sweep rate. That would be 85 Hz I suspect.
>
> > I provided the screen shot to see if my fonts are bad- I know that
> > there are anti-aliased and aliased fonts. Of course, what you see when
> > you look at the screen shot is what you would see if you connected
> > your monitor to my machine- not what I see on my monitor. I just
> > wanted to eliminte the possibility that I may have misconfigured the
> > fonts or something.
>
> On the XP machine what anti-aliasing mode is in use? How does that compare
> with the FC4 machine's settings? (For that matter how to the basic monitor
> settings compare?) There is little or nothing that video drivers can do
> to turn you video blurry aside from anti-aliasing settings. So I'd look to
> hardware issues. Cheap video cables come to mind. Different video cards
> will have different response as well. An old video card pushed to as high
> a frequency and resolution as it can handle will often be blurry. Even
> running video through some KVMs can lead to blurriness.
> {^_^}

I just poked around a bit in the winbox's Control Panel and could not
find anti-aliasing settings. Nor in KDE Contol Center. They both are
on 1024*768 screen resolution at 85 Hz (not mHz!). The linbox has an
AMD proccessor with the graphics card built into the Mother Board. The
winbox is a P4 with a seperate AGP port and a 32 meg card (dont
remember which one). The monitor _is_ connected via extension cable,
both when i connected to windows and here on Fedora. I got rid of the
KVM a few months ago. Now that I think about it, I _did_ notice a
difference between the two when using the KVM, but as I spent as
little time as possible in windows, I didn't persure the tought to
much.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/what_is_hdtv.html