How to recover an executable?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 21 17:36:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 17:14 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Following the instructions in a book, I did
> ln -s mta /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix
> which has exactly the opposite result to what is required, overwriting
> the executable with a link.
>
> Is there any way of recovering the executable or must I reinstall
> postfix?
----
personally, I would backup copies of any config files that you altered -
i.e.

cp /etc/postfix/main.cf /etc/postfix/main.cf.saved

and then remove the symlink you created...

rm /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix

and then reinstall postfix...

rpm -ivh --force \
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/postfix-2.2.2-2.i386.rpm

and that should fix things

but I would recomend that you also install the system-switch-mail
package and run that to 'bless' postfix that I described earlier

Craig