Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 21 18:15:54 UTC 2006

On Saturday 21 January 2006 12:04, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Sat, 2006-01-21 at 01:21, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Very unlikely.  RHEL is too boring for a community to participate.
>> It is almost stagnant which is great for enterprises but not for the
>> community. If RHEL would have been suitable for everyone Red Hat
>> wouldnt started Fedora or vice versa.
>
>Your argument would be more convincing if you could point out
>some directions that FC has taken that are more in the
>community interest than in building the next RHEL.  Can you?
>
>RHEL4 looks very much like a direct cutover from what was
>built in FC3 with Mysql4.x dropped in, and so far everything
>in subsequent FC releases looks like more of the same. If
>this is really supposed to be a community project, shouldn't
>it take some directions that aren't aimed at building the
>next RHEL version?

This is a sentiment I have to echo also. The kde/gnome wars being a case
in point.  kde efforts are only on a time permitted basis it still
seems, often done by soemone on his or her own time even after a
sufficiently large numnber of users choose to run it.  That doesn't
equate to being a 'community project' IMNSHO.

IMO the project should demo that its responsive to the users wishes in
matters such as this.  To show that, we'd need to see support for the
eye candy of our choice by rpms instead of being forced into a
konstruct build, and a release install that actually worked, unlike the
"official" FC4 debacle.  I'd imagine you would have many more running
FC4 if the users could bring FC4.2 install glitches here, but we've
been told pointedly we're on our own, so those cd's are still in my
carry case, unused.  That wasn't at all conducive to good community
relationships.  It made it very plain that we were, at the end of the
day, still subject to the whims of TPTB at Red Hat.

If and when that time arrives, then this old fart on SS would consider
an annual donation to a 'foundation'.  A pittance in the grand scheme,
but it would show my thanks nonetheless.  In the meantime, I serve
mainly as a canary in the coal mine, squawking about things that make
me itch.  And considering a jump to debian if FC5 final won't install,
and this is after 8 years of running nothing but RH.  And I don't have
a 'sacrificial box' other than the one that runs my small milling
machine useing emc2.  As I'm building emc2 from cvs about weekly, a
re-install and a quick cvs grab and I'm pretty much back to a good
footing on square one.

OTOH, as long as we are the guinea pigs for the next release of RHEL,
then IMO this paper only for tax purposes 'foundation' is a wasted
effort.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: