Fetchmail socket problem

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 22 23:17:01 UTC 2006

From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>
> On Sunday 22 Jan 2006 21:02, Craig White wrote:
>> um...do you have a pop server running?
>>
>> dovecot?
>>
> Dovecot is configured to serve imap.

If it is explicitly configured for ONLY imap then of course pop3
will not work. So a "telnet localhost imap" is called for. Of course,
actually logging in is a pain and probably will require reading and
figuring out the imap RFCs. It requires an N digit serial number with
leading zeros in front of each command.

>> Is it configured to accept pop3 connections?
>
> You mean locally? It's configured to accept imap connections on the lan,
> but I was still at the stage of testing fetchmail on the command line,
> so I shouldn't have introduced any further complications.
>
>> is it running?
>>
> Yes, it's running, and I can connect.  From this box I can see the
> messages I moved into one of its folders.  (The aim is to copy across
> all mail onto that laptop, so that it can function as server while I
> rebuild the real server).

Then what IS the problem?
{o.o}