Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Hans Kristian Rosbach hk at isphuset.no
Mon Jan 23 17:49:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 10:45 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 1/23/06, Hans Kristian Rosbach <hk at isphuset.no> wrote:
> > I think what he is saying here is not only relevant to installer
> > problems. Downloading several hundreds of megs of updates on every
> > fresh install can get very tiresome, time consuming and costly.
>
> I'm not disagreeing with the idea of update respins. What I am saying
> is there is absolutely no reason that respins can not be maintained
> long term by community to spread the manpower around.  If the release
> team say they are not prepared for the potential maintainence burden,
> that should be respected.. even if they are wrong about what the
> burden will actually be. The way forward is community effort like
> yours. The questions before us is identifying the steps to formalized
> your effort as part of the Fedora project over time.

Glad to hear you agree :)

*snip a whole lot*

> > I have gotten a few bugreports about FC4.1 but none about FC4.2.
>
> I'm glad to here it, but you also don't know how heavily used the
> fc4.2 sets are so its diffcult to gauge the extent of any new problems
> that crop up. Sometimes the tracker for the isos are down when people
> in #fedora attempt to use them, so I don't have an accurate impression
> from the irc discussion as to how often people are picking these up
> for installs.

As for numbers, the tracker has registered about 600 complete downloads.
In addition there are those who don't download all the cds, some use
trackerless clients, "broken" clients and some just don't get counted
due to communications failing around the time of completion.

Hopefully a fair lot of those did install.

As for currently registered seeds:
FC4.2 i386    - 5 seeds
FC4.1 i386    - 1 seed
FC4.2 x86-64  - 2 seeds

I will follow Rahul's advice and try to make it come under the
Fedora umbrella.

-HK