Bios flashing w/fed4_64

George Hare hare.george at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 00:41:06 UTC 2006

From: James Wilkinson <fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Bios flashing w/fed4_64
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>

David Fletcher wrote:
> That's why it's best to flash the BIOS if an update is made available.

The alternative point of view is that flashing a BIOS is not risk free.
If the power goes or the computer crashes while you are in the middle of
flashing a BIOS, you may have problems. Some motherboards (those with
Gigabyte Dual BIOS, for example) should be able to pick itself up and
recover automatically. Some motherboards may have just enough of an
emergency BIOS to load a DOS floppy and the flash routine (but not
necessarily PCI/AGP/PCI Express drivers, so you may be doing this in the
dark...) But if you're unlucky, you may end up with a dead motherboard,
or at least one that requires a replacement BIOS chip.

So unless you expect to get a real benefit from flashing a BIOS, you
might want to leave well alone.

Hope this helps,

James.

I guess I'll just leave it alone then...it's my only box.

Thanks,

George
--
G. Hare