Bios flashing w/fed4_64

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Tue Jan 24 09:43:32 UTC 2006

At 00:41 24/01/2006, you wrote:

>From: James Wilkinson <fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: Bios flashing w/fed4_64
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
>David Fletcher wrote:
> > That's why it's best to flash the BIOS if an update is made available.
>
>The alternative point of view is that flashing a BIOS is not risk free.
>If the power goes or the computer crashes while you are in the middle of
>flashing a BIOS, you may have problems. Some motherboards (those with

I power all my computers (there's only three at home, and two at
work) via UPSs. They needn't be very expensive - you can sometimes
get very recent APC models from ebay pretty cheaply. That's where two
of the units at home came from, and they work fine. It's very
reassuring when you hear the inverters start up as the lights dim or go out.

>I guess I'll just leave it alone then...it's my only box.

Next time you upgrade, keep the old one! It's always useful to have a
second PC ready to download stuff when setting up the main one.

>George
>--
>G. Hare

Dave F