rpm installing using for loop

Chris Gordon chris at linux-dr.net
Tue Jan 24 14:03:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 03:53:46PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am stuck with installing rpm using for loop
>
> I tried the below
>
> #for i in 'cat list'; do rpm -ivh $i ; done
>
> It gives me the below error
>
> error: open of cat failed: No such file or directory
> error: list cannot be installed
> [root at bdc31096e root]#
> [root at bdc31096e root]# cat list
> sylpheed-1.0.0-3.i386.rpm
> dmidecode-2.5-2.i586.rpm
> [root at bdc31096e root]#
>
> I want to use this method only since there are lots of rpm package
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> Regards
>
> Kaushal

Not sure of your exact situation, but you can pass regexes to rpm and
have it do all of that.  For instance, if you have all of the files you
need ins a dir somewhere and you want to install all of those files you
could:
	rpm -ivh /path/to/packages/*rpm

This can be nice as rpm will figure out the appropriate order to install
the packages if there are dependencies within them.

Chris