Fedora 4 installation via floppy

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 18:53:54 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 13:10, Fábio Augusto wrote:
>Good Afternoon for all,
>
>I have an equipment without CD ROM driver and USB boot support. I
> would like to know how can I boot from a floppy disk (if it's
> possible) to start installation via NFS Server.
>
>In some older version (like Fedora 1) we could download the boot.img
> and use dd to convert it to the floppy disk, but now I can't find it
> anymore.
>
>Thanks 4 all,

The boot image is now too big for anything but a 2.88 meg floppy.  And
by the time you put an initrd.img on it too, even that will be
problematic.  I have basicly stripped my kernel down to only what my
hardware needs, and its still

1576854 Jan 17 10:42 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-rc1, and
112327 Jan 17 10:42 /boot/initrd-2.6.16-rc1.img

Now imagine how big it would be if all the drivers for all the hardware
that floppy might find itself plugged into were added.

Next case.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: