recognizing an external hard drive in FC4

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Tue Jan 24 22:59:28 UTC 2006

Chris Norman wrote:

> I will be needing to connect an external hard disk via USB to drag some
> stuff of it some time in the near future. The disk gets recognized just fine
> under windows, but how can I get it to go under FC4? I'm not sure of the
> manufacturer or any of that, I just know it's USB (the disk isn't mine),
> where will it be in /dev?

YMMV but in KDE and Gnome in FC4 this stuff now works here
automagically.  The thing is recognized, a mountpoint like
/media/USBDISK is created automatically, and at least a link to mount it
placed on your desktop, or if all goes well in KDE, you get a "What do
you want to do when this drive is connected" type dialog.

-Andy