recognizing an external hard drive in FC4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 25 12:05:20 UTC 2006

Andy Green:
> YMMV but in KDE and Gnome in FC4 this stuff now works here
> automagically.  The thing is recognized, a mountpoint like
> /media/USBDISK is created automatically, and at least a link to mount it
> placed on your desktop,

Do you know where it gets the default names from?  I had some annoying
names used when connecting my USB bits (a flash drive, and a camera), so
I'd rather use something more sensible.  Neither is really a "disk", and
they both got given the same names.  I did find out that it'd use a FAT
volume label if there was one, but I couldn't find a way of setting one
in Linux.  I had to put the USB flashdrive into a Windows box to name
it.

I read messages from the public lists.