I am a new member

lists at ralii.com lists at ralii.com
Wed Jan 25 17:15:46 UTC 2006

> From: Alessandro Brezzi <alessandro.brezzi at gmail.com>
> Date: 2006/01/25 Wed AM 11:47:13 EST
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: I am a new member
>
> 2006/1/25, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com>:
> >

> > Sounds like the entry in /etc/fstab for the swap partition has been
> > munged.  Believe that is a known problem.
> >
> > If you can, boot to single user mode and edit the /etc/fstab file to
> > correct the problem.
>

> Hi,
> I observed the same in my FC4 x86_64 (latest Kernel), two SATA 1 160GB disk
> in one logical volume; it happen once in a month or so.
> I suspect it is related with some chkdisk.
> Please, can somebody confirm this?
>
> TIA
>
> Alessandro
>
> --
> > Alessandro Brezzi

One of the observed "features" to rhgb is that when one of the services takes a "long time", the screen makes a context switch to text mode and displays as it's last line the initialization of the swap space, when in fact that was "ages ago" in the boot process.  This has caused many to assume that there is a "swap space" problem when in fact there is not.  Of course, swap space problems are not entirely unheard of, but we need to better narrow it down.

Your best bet in troubleshooting boot time problems is to eliminate "rhgb" from the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf so you can see each of the text lines as they happen and truly know where in the boot process you are experiencing a "hang".  If the boot problem is even earlier in the boot process, I would also recommend removing the word "quiet" from that same kernel line.  Once you know what service you are stopping on, we can begin to investigate the problem....

HTH,

--Rob