I am a new member

Alessandro Brezzi alessandro.brezzi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:22:53 UTC 2006

2006/1/25, lists at ralii.com lists at ralii.com:

> One of the observed "features" to rhgb is that when one of the services
> takes a "long time", the screen makes a context switch to text mode and
> displays as it's last line the initialization of the swap space, when in
> fact that was "ages ago" in the boot process.  This has caused many to
> assume that there is a "swap space" problem when in fact there is not.  Of
> course, swap space problems are not entirely unheard of, but we need to
> better narrow it down.

 I agree with your observation: I see the "Activating SWAP " line with the
usual "[ Ok ]" at bottom, so the I'm sure the swap is already activated.

Your best bet in troubleshooting boot time problems is to eliminate "rhgb"
> from the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf so you can see each of the text
> lines as they happen and truly know where in the boot process you are
> experiencing a "hang".  If the boot problem is even earlier in the boot
> process, I would also recommend removing the word "quiet" from that same
> kernel line.  Once you know what service you are stopping on, we can begin
> to investigate the problem....

Thank for the suggestion for investigate the problem. As I've already
stated, I observe this randomly and not so frequently.

--
Alessandro Brezzi