install on SATA drive on ASUS A8n-VM CSM, nforce 430

dondi_2006 dondi_2006 at libero.it
Thu Jan 26 16:13:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have this board with the nforce 430/GeForce 6150 chipset and only one
SATA-II disk, regularly seen from BIOS.

1) When I boot from the first CD of Fedora Core 4 x86_64 I get:
   initial text screen (the one where you can give boot options) displayed
   perfectly. all following screen (do or skip mediacheck, etc...) all
   messed up. By this I mean (text) image is very stable, but every 2/3
   lines of characters the columns are shifted, so I see a bunch of
   disaligned blue or red rectangles. after two minutes a stable line of
   white text on black background saying "anaconda is starting", then
   black screen. What can it be? Broken ISO? I did check the checksum
   before burning. Also, if I boot with FC4 32 bit disc 1 everything on
   screen is fine. It just doesn't see the SATA drive, which leds me to
   the second question

2) How do I install Linux on this chipset if there is only one SATA drive?
   I need a driver, nv_sata, right? how must I use it? Where is it
   explained in detail how to proceed?

TIA,
D.

(I *have* also asked on the nVidia Linux forum, but it wouldn't be the
first time that Fedora/Linux answers come much faster here than there...