system stops after logging out: fixed

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Jan 26 18:19:07 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 09:04 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 17:15 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 21:59 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > > My FC4 system hangs in that interval after logging off (or shutting
> > > down) from KDE but before the Fedora login screen comes on.  I can
> > > move a cursor around with the mouse on the blank screen but get no
> > > response from clicking it, or from hitting anything on the keyboard.
> > > So, the reset button -- after which a command-line login appears and
> > > there's a normal-looking shutdown.  The re-boot and login look normal.
> > >
> > > Is there some other way of logging off (or shutting) down that might
> > > give me a clue as to what's happening?
> > >
> > > I suspect a USB-related hardware issue but don't know for sure.
> >
> > What about the reset button?  Something appears to be missing from the
> > sentence.
> >
> "So, the reset button" should read "So I hit the reset button."
>
> > One chance to see where the problem might be is to switch over to a text
> > console (e.g. CTRL+ALT+F1), log in as root, then issue the poweroff
> > command and watch the sequence of events.
> >
> The system just shuts down normally.
>
> > You could also try just doing a telinit 3 or 1 in there, instead of
> > poweroff, if you want to see whether quitting the GUI without going as
> > far as shutting down shows up where a problemm is.
> >
> This is a neat diagnostic tool!
> When I do a teleinit 3 the first message is:
> PuteA login: FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq
> (/lib/modules/2.6.14-1.1656_FC4/kernel/aaarch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device
>
> Then I get normal-looking service start-up lines (with an OK at the end
> of each) for pcmcia, irqbalance, lmsensors, and anacron.  Then the
> system hangs.
>
> Googling acpi_cpufreq gives me plenty of users saying they have problems
> related to this message (or at least are getting the message).  But I
> haven't found any solutions yet!
>
> Again, my specific problem occurs in logging off from KDE using the GUI.
> The system hangs before the login screen comes up.

I fixed this by loading the second most recent kernel
(2.6.11.1.1369_FC4) instead of the most recent kernel
(2.6.14-1.1656_FC4) from the Grub menu.  A lucky guess -- does anyone
have any idea as to why this worked?  For example, what does the
difference between "1369_FC4" and "1656_FC4" mean in the name of a
kernel?