OT: router?

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 18:56:35 UTC 2006

azeem ahmad wrote:

>> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
>> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>> Subject: Re: OT: router?
>> Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:12:42 -0600
>>
>> On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 10:56, azeem ahmad wrote:
>> > hi list
>> > i got 6 different networks that are on ranges
>> > 192.168.0.0/24
>> > 192.168.1.0/24
>> > 192.168.2.0/24
>> > 192.168.3.0/24
>> > 192.168.4.0/24
>> > 192.168.5.0/24
>> > 192.168.6.0/24
>> > i want them to communicate each other selectively, mean i want that
>> > 192.168.0.0/24 network communicate with all other networks and other
>> > networks can communicate with it, but all others networks must not
>> be able
>> > to communicate with each other. i think the ultimate solution is
>> using a
>> > router.
>> > m i right?
>> > and an other thing i want a cheaper solution, can u people tell me
>> about any
>> > cheaper and good router
>>
>> Any Linux box can act as a router - you just need to cram
>> enough NIC cards in to handle all the networks.  Or split
>> the job among a few machines that reside on the 192.168.0.0
>> net.
>>
>> --
> i know
> but in fact i dont want to use a Linux machine, instead i want to use a
> HW router

Technically there is no such thing though Cisco seems to be one
of the closest to approach that. I think I know what you mean
though (not a PC).

If you're talk for home use then a WRT54GL with OpenWRT, HyperWRT
or Sveasoft software should be able to handle that. You may need
to add real 802.1q support (real VLANs) and a switch that supports
it. Or just use virtual interfaces eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2 ... eth0:5
and the single interface (I normally don't go past eth0:2).

For a business setup then skip the WRT and get yourself a big
router. The WRT isn't meant to support ~1500 nodes. Since your
asking I think you need to consider talking to someone who can
design your network properly.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site