Rsync backup to tar or gzip archive

Julian Underwood mailings at underwoods.net
Fri Jan 27 02:23:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 12:17 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Why do you want to use rsync for this? Are you doing something
> that you can not do using the -u option of tar or the -f option
> or zip? If so, you may want to look at standard backup software.
>
> Mikkel

Hi,

Yeah, you're right, I suppose the -u option of tar or the -f option of
zip will probably work just fine.  The reason I want to backup "changes
only" is because I'm going be be doing nightly backups to a remote site
and as the bandwidth is going to be limited.

Additionally, as the file systems I'm going to be backing up to are SMB,
I wanted the data to be compressed and archived into one file so if
there are files with unsupported SMB filenames/lengths, they won't get
stripped when put onto the SMB volume.  I'm going to be doing this for
some OS X servers as well.

Does this make sense?  You think this is an OK way to go about doing an
"offsite" DR backup to a SMB volume?

Julian