ML-37 clock speed

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 14:19:07 UTC 2006

Neal Becker wrote:
> I suspected as much, but I don't see any messages logged about cpuspeed
> adjustment.  Is there some way I can monitor what it's doing?  There is no
> documentation on cpuspeed AFAICT.

Not much to document...

Become root, and look in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq.
cpuinfo_cur_freq is the current frequency (you'll need to be root to see
this), and cpuinfo_max_freq and cpuinfo_min_freq are fairly obvious.

You can google this for more information, but you'll notice that if the
system load goes up sufficiently, the system speed goes up to give you
the CPU power you need. When you don't want it, (which in my experience
is most of the time), the CPU speed will rapidly go down to the minimum
available speed.

Basically, the speed is there when you need it, and when you don't, the
system saves power and heat. I keep cpuspeed working on a desktop
system: I'd strongly recommend it for a laptop.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "I'm all ears," said Rincewind. His eyes glazed for a
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | moment. "No, I'm not, I'm all bladder."