dvdbackup

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 18:19:35 UTC 2006

François Patte wrote:
> bonjour,
>
> Is there a version of dvdbackup working under FC4. I installed dries
> version but it doesn't work:
>
> dvdbackup: symbol lookup error: dvdbackup: undefined symbol: UDFFindFile
>
> It seems that FC4 version of libdvdread does not export that symbol....
>
> Who knows?
>
> Thanks.

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I do have an
alternative if you run into a dead end.  I've recently been exploring
different packages alleged to do different things with DVD video, but I
always seemed to hit a roadblock.  (The most recent was a bug in
transcode that broke dvd::rip.)  Then I saw in a forum somewhere someone
recommended dvdshrink (a Windows app) running under wine.  I figured
what the hell, nothing has worked well yet, so why not...  I downloaded
the latest wine rpm for FC4 from winehq, then grabbed the latest
dvdshrink, and installed both.  Unbelievable.  I was stunned.  It worked
the VERY first time without a single hitch.

HTH,
Jay