Install over NFS

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 15:14:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 08:52 -0500, Thom Paine wrote:
> I'm trying to install FC5T2 over nfs. I googled and several sites say
> to just make an nfs share and dump the dvd iso file in there and you
> are good to go.
>
> I've tried this on my machine and I can't seem to connect to it with
> my laptop. I keep getting an error stating that the mountpoint doesn't
> seem to be a Fedora Core Installation Tree.
>
> my /etc/exports has just one line
>
> /nfs 10.10.10.0/24(ro,sync)
>
> which I have dropped the FC5 iso into. I didn't put the md5sum file though.
>
> And on my laptop I'm trying to install to I have my ip for the nfs
> server and the directory is just /nfs and I've tried it a few times
> and can't seem to get it to go.
>
> Any ideas? I don't have a DVD drive for the laptop to burn it to.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> -=/>Thom

Having the ISO files on the target server is not enough.
You'll need to unpack the ISO into a single directory and point the
anaconda to that destination.

ISO unpacking:

mkdir /temp/mnt
mkdir /nfs/fc5t2/

while FILE in *.iso; do
	mount -t iso9660 $FILE /temp/mnt -o loop
	cp -R /temp/mnt/* /nfs/fc5t2/
	umount /temp/mnt
done

Now point the anaconda to /nfs/fc5t2 on the target server.

Gilboa