can an access point connect through an access point?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 16:55:31 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 02:01, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun January 29 2006 2:54 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> > Topology is: Wireless broadband comes into my house through radio; radio
> > has a LAN port which connects to my WAN nic; my LAN nic is connected to a
> > D-Link G700AP - various PC's throughout my house connect via WIFI to this
> > AP, and all works well.
>
> Additional detail: the box that my broadband is connected to is an FC4 box.
> It's acting as router and doing DHCP for the LAN. The machines on the LAN are
> all Windows boxes, though slowly being changed over to Linux. That's why I
> need to dump the Microsoft USB WIFI nic.

The home combo router/ap/switch boxes are so cheap these
days that it is probably not worth the effort to use
anything else.  In fact if you need a second access
point the cheapest way to do it may be to get a
pair of routers, connect by ethernet on the switch
side, and disable the WAN side of the 2nd unit.
If you shop for closeouts/rebates you might find
them for around $20.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com