can an access point connect through an access point?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 30 00:21:56 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:

> Now, one of those distant machines is an old Win98 box, which is using a USB
> wireless NIC made by Microsoft, to connect to the AP hanging off the inside
> NIC of my Fedora box.
>
> That Microsoft USB wireless NIC is what we're trying to replace. I was trying
> to hook up/configure another D-Link AP to act as a wireless NIC from that
> Win98 computer, and I'm pretty sure now that it won't work, though I'm still
> not completely clear what you're doing with your two D-Link routers - BUT,
> neither of my D-Link devices are routers, they are just AP's - My router is
> the Fedora computer. Machines throughout the house communicate with the AP on
> my Fedora Box, and Fedora is configured to provide DHCP to those machines,
> and to route traffic from them through the Fedora box to its external NIC
> which is connected to the internet...

Dumb question - witch Microsoft USB wireless NIC do you have? Are
you sure it will not work with Linux? Just because it has
Microsoft's name on it doesn't mean it will not work. Chances are
that they didn't build it. Besides, chances are it has one of the
standard chip sets, so there is probably a driver for it. For
example, the MN-520 PCMCIA card works fine. The first time I used
it, I had to add it to the list, but now is detected automaticly.

Mikkel