VPN Router for Linux (FC4)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 02:08:47 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 19:37, Michael B. Smith wrote:
> > Can someone recommend a good VPN router that will play nice with Linux?
> >
> > Will I be forced to use the vendor's (Linksys', Netgear's, etc.)
> > proprietary VPN client software or does Linux come with something
> > that should work based on some standard?
> >
> > Does anyone know if there are major differences between the Linksys
> > BEFVP41 and the RV0041, besides the gigE port?
> >
> > Thanx,
> > Ryan
> >
> > P.S. I have both DSL and cable, if that matters (port blocking,
> > compatibility, etc.).
>
> Ryan, make sure you check out openvpn:  http://openvpn.net

Openvpn is probably the best solution.  However you might be
able to do what you need with ssh port-forwarding (tunnel
all the ports you need through the ssh connection and adjust
your access to the forwarded local ports on your side)  or
using freenx and the free nxclient from www.nomachine.com
to be able to run a remote desktop easily and efficiently.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com