Can a graphics card kill an LCD display?

Randy Grimshaw rgrimsha at syr.edu
Tue Jan 31 15:56:09 UTC 2006

>>> ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au 1/31/2006 9:53 AM >>>

>>though considering your video card's only going to have the ability to
>>put 5 Volts on a pin, maximum, I'd have thought a monitor wouldn't
>>suffer severe problems if it got 5VDC where it didn't expect it,

I lost a usb device to a motherboard that had been hit by lightning before.
The spike had come in through the onboard network and after I had inserted a NIC
in the PCI slot it seemed to work again... until I also inserted the usb device... zap.

this is only to say that there are things that cause motherboards to deliver unexpected
voltages, and possibly videocards too.

Are you using any other monitor while the LCD is being replaced?
Is the whole system under service warrantee?
<><Randy

<><Randall Grimshaw
Room 203 Machinery Hall
Syracuse University