Wireless Fix for IPW 2200's on Laptops after upgrade to 2.6.17-1.2139

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Jul 2 14:24:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006, wwp wrote:

> Hello Matthew,
>

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:40:07 -0400 (EDT) Matthew Saltzman <mjs at ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Ed Gurski wrote:
>>
>>> My Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG required the latest firmware drivers to be
>>> installed. (http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2-ipw2200.shtml).
>>>
>>> Just follow the instructions, reboot and it will be working...
>>>
>>> Note: You may not see the wireless indicator lit, but as soon as you
>>> connect through Network Manager, it will light-up...
>>
>> Note that the initscripts update referred to on that page is still in
>> updates-testing, not yet in updates.  Hopefully that will change soon.
>
> Is it safe to update the firmware package to ipw2200-firmware 3.0-2 even if
> not yet using the latest kernel? Or should both be updated at the same time?
>
> Here:
> ipw2200-firmware-3.0-1.lvn5
> kernel-2.6.16-1.2122_FC5 (customized)

You already have the latest firmware.  ipw2200-firmware-3.0-1.lvn5
includes both firmware versions 2.4 and 3.0, which are all that are needed
for FC5.  The latest (still updates-testing) initscripts update is
appropriate (indeed necessary) for kernels since 2.6.16 was first released
for FC5.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences