NATed computer can't access certain websites

Chris Linton-Ford chris.lintonford at firebox.com
Wed Jul 5 11:36:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've had a recurring problem on our office network where some computers
suddenly stop being able to access certain websites. We're currently
using a mixture of FC3-5 behind an OpenBSD gateway, which performs
firewalling and NAT; however we had the same problem when using an FC5
gateway.

The computer in question at the moment is running FC4, has no problems
resolving the IP address of the website, and its routing tables are
fine. It doesn't have a firewall, and can access all other websites no
problems, as far as we can tell. Doing a tcpdump shows that the http
packets are going out and ack packets are coming back, but no http data
comes back from the website.

I've tried accessing the website using Firefox, elinks and using telnet
to do the basic GET /index.htm etc. They all hang after the sending the
request.

None of the other computers in the office have any problems connecting
to this website.

I'm stumped - any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Chris