kmod-nvidia not working in kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 15:16:46 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, Scott R. Godin <scott.g at mhg2.com> wrote:
> Nowhere in this discussion have I seen "nvidia attempting to help" -- in
> point of fact, in the experience of others, which I have witnessed
> second and third hand, user bug reports get largely ignored in the
> general scheme of things. It's only the large corporate customers whose
> bugs get fixed in anything resembling a timely fashion. I'd love to see
> that change, but, that'll happen right around the time it goes
> open-source. :-P

Surely you're joking.  I've submitted many bugs to Redhat's bugzilla
for software that ships in their releases (both RHEL & FC), and very
few of them ever see any attention.  Redhat bows before their large
corporate customers just like NVIDIA.  You're deceiving yourself if
you think otherwise.

> It's only the REST of the system that suffered because of it.
>   o Horribly corrupted rpm databases? Huh?
>   o Trashed swap partition (how the HELL did that happen?)
>   o Perms on /etc/rc.d/ and /etc/rc.d/init.d/ suddenly being 0644
> instead of 0755 (explain that one, if you can) ..
>   o memory errors on DRAM that's passed memtest86 running all night (at
> least 10 full test-suites, if not more), 100% cleanly?

What proof do you have that the nvidia X driver caused this?  Thus far
your only response was pointing to Mike Harris' personal FUD campaign
against binary drivers.

> All sorts of 'general weirdness' that crept in gradually over _months_,
> each re-install eventually resulting in different problems (some of
> which I've casually grouped together above, but none of these occurred
> during the same install. Each install was the eventual result of one of
> the above (plus a few others) after I noticed it and did my careful best
> to correct and preserve a system that I use on a daily basis.)
>
> If you saw this:
>
>     http://phpfi.com/125284
>
> Would the video drivers be the first place (or the second? the fourth?
> top ten?) you looked for the culprit? No? funny thing, *neither would
> I*... nevertheless nvidia was indeed the source of this and other
> strange problems. And that's the *only* time out of the five that I got
> anything conclusive recorded as far as error messages that indicated
> *something* was horribly wrong (_before_ things *went* completely
> wahooni-shaped forcing a reinstall), and led me to a real, practical,
> restored to full functionality, solution.

Again, what proof do you have that the nvidia X driver caused that
crash?  As you, yourself, noted, the nvidia kernel module is no where
to be found in that backtrace.

> So please, spare me. If it works for you, great. I'm happy for you.
> _Proceed with caution_. That road, however well-traveled, is not
> well-paved.

At this point, you sound like a troll with an axe to grind.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org