sound and corruption problem with thunderbird in KDE on FC5

LPM lpm48 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 16:08:30 UTC 2006

--- Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Just a couple of suggestions.  Go back to the other account, where
> the sound
> works OK, and check out all the settings in kcontrol > sound &
> multimedia.
> Write them down, then check your own account against that.
>
> In particular, ISTR that I had some problems when, on the sound
> system >
> hardware tab, the audio device was set to autodetect.  I changed it
> to ALSA.
>
> Similarly, start with the working account, and in a konsole run
> alsamixer.  If
> you haven't used it like this before, you move around by arrow-keys,
> and M
> mutes or un-mutes certain chanels.  Again, notice the settings, and
> try the
> same thing on the problematic account.  Try to set it up identically
> to the
> other one, and test after each change by playing a sound file.  If
> you think
> it's OK, then try to test against every type of sound file you will
> use, just
> in case.
>
> Sometimes it's just one channel that should be muted or set very low,
> or it
> causes serious problems for other channels.
>
> I'm no expert, but have had to experiment a bit from time to time.
> HTH
>
> Anne
> > --

Thank you for the suggestions.  I had already checked the "control
center" settings once before, but did that again.  Only found one
differnce, the "run with highest priority" setting, so made that the
same.  I had never used the alsamixer, so checked the differences
between the problem account and the working account.  Again, a couple
of diffences, so I made those changes also.  Still no sound from tbird
in the problem account.  Trying to play the sound crashes tbird, only
when I'm in KDE.  Tbird works fine in Gnome on the same account, so I
believe it is a KDE configuration problem in that account related only
to tbird.  Every other sound program works fine, and the wav file plays
fine in noatun.  Strange!

Lloyd