SATA disk changed from "sd" to "hd" - why? (FC5)

Aleksey Tsalolikhin aleksey.tsalolikhin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 22:48:21 UTC 2006

Hi.  I installed FC5 last week.  The system disk is a SATA drive.  It
showed up as "sda" last week.  Now it is "hda".  Why did this change?
The other drives, also connected through the on-board SATA ports,
showed up as "sdb" and "sdc" before, and now are "hdb" and "hdc".

More importantly, the performance is broken - CPU %user is 0, system
is like 10, and waiting for I/O is 90%.   idle is 0%.

dmesg shows

warning: many lost ticks.

Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts

rip _spin_unlock_irqrestore+0xb/0xd

What I changed since last week, is I removed IDE-based DVD drive, and
unplugged and replugged the data drives (not the system drive).

Any suggestions?

I tried adding "clock=pmtmr" to boot options but I still got the
message about many lost ticks, time source instable.

rip __do_softirq+0x4a/0xd2

I am building the latest kernel now, to try with it.

I am really mystified about the switch from "sd" to "hd" in the
drive naming.  All the drives on the system are SATA.

Any suggestions?

Aleksey