What to do when rpm verification fails

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 12:10:18 UTC 2006

Doing an rpm -Va resulted in a lot of scary messages,
S.?.....    /usr/bin/passwd
being one of the most chilling. (And I thought I was very strictly
firewalled, with no unnecessary services running, except for
postgresql. Oh well...)

Anyway, at the very least, I'd like to reinstall the offending
packages. Since there are other packages depending on them, I wonder
how this can be done without too much hassle. Would

rpm -e --nodeps <package>
yum install <package>

be safe?

Also, I get a lot of

prelink: /some/file/or/other : at least one of file's dependencies has
changed since prelinking

warnings during rpm -Va. Is this something to be worried about?

Andras