What to do when rpm verification fails

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 18:10:56 UTC 2006

On 7/7/06, Frank Elsner <Elsner at zrz.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Oh YES.
>
> You'be been hacked. Recheck with "chkrootkit".

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran chkrootkit, and it was all not
found/not infected/no suspect files. But there're just too many
suspicious files
such as

S.?.....    /usr/sbin/lpasswd
S.?.....    /usr/sbin/luseradd
S.?.....    /usr/sbin/luserdel
S.?.....    /usr/sbin/lusermod

to believe it was a simple rpm database corruption.

> Disconnect from net and re-install.

I'll do a reinstall, but I'd love to know where's the hole first,
otherwise there's nothing to save me from the same thing happening
again. Not that I know where to look... The usual suspects (portmap,
sendmail, etc.) are not running, and I thought my firewall rules were
pretty strict (who doesn't? :-)), iptables -L says

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpts:0:1023
DROP       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpts:0:1023
DROP       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
flags:FIN,SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (0 references)
[there's more here, but hopefully, 0 references means that they're irrelevant]

Andras