need to add HP Laser Jet 1010

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 7 20:48:21 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 13:13 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >>As root run, system-config-printer
> >
> > As has been said many times before using system-config-printer on a cups
> > using sytem is a disaster.
>
> system-config-printer always WORKSFORME. YMMV.
>
> -- Rex

Ok, let me be clear. If you have one machine that you want to have
printers on and print to, system-config-printer is probably ok.

But is you have other machines involved, especially a remote print
server so you fool around with print sharing or even worse if you mix
print configuration on the system by using system-config-printer and the
cups web interface you are pretty guaranteed to result in a mess,

We have 50 machines which print to a single print sever. In such an
environment using using system-config-printer causes a disaster. And if
you want it to get worse have someone on the same LAN set up his Windows
based printers to be shared. Administering such a system will drive any
system administrator to drink and I have been off alcohol except for
sacramental reasons for 50 years.
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you actually look forward to the trip. -- Caskie Stinnett, "Out of the
Red"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net