mrtg config question

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 8 14:10:28 UTC 2006

Don Russell wrote:
> I just installed mrtg 2.13.2 on FC5 and noticed the sample config file
> in /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
>
> This file has LogDir defined as /var/lib/mrtg
>
> I suppose it doesn't really matter... but is that an error/typo?
> Shouldn't logs be kept in /var/log/... ?
>
> I was going to Bugzilla this, but thought I'd get some other opinions
> first. :-)
>
> Part 2: (The fun part) :-)
>
> I created a new userid (mrtg) and created a little script to run
> cfgmaker and indexmaker, but now I don't know how to run mrtg so it
> can produce the graphs etc in /var/www/mrtg...
>
> I suppose I could run mrtg as root... but I hate running stuff as root
> if not needed.
> Or, how can I grant write permission so the mrtg user can write to
> /var/www/mrtg, but not other apache-owned files/directories?
>
> Thanks,
> Don

Don,

We run MRTG at work to monitor our backbone routers.  It's run as a
cron  job, every 5 minutes as root.  Since it doesn't have any open
network connectivity the security issues are fairly low.

If you want run MRTG as the mrtg user, your best bet would probably be
to manipulate group write permissions for the related directories and
set up the MRTG user in the appropriate group.  We've been running MRTG
as root for years and have no problems.  I guess someone could rootkit
mrtg and screw around, but, in our case the box is dedicated to MRTG and
is tightly firewalled.

Bob...