Where can I find this firmware file?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 8 16:11:06 UTC 2006

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> My broadcom BCM4306 wifi card seems to be supported by FC4 but it wants
> to load a firmware file called bcm43xx_microcode5.fw.  Where might I
> find this file.  Is it in a repository somewhere?
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug P

This is supposedly obtained by running bcm43xx-fwcutter against the
windows XP version of the driver.  That portion worked ok since I have
an XP partition saved on this lappy, and I have all those files now, but
any attempt to use them on this hp lappy locks it up tighter than a
bulls ass in fly time.

We are being sold down the river by the likes of broadcom, and if I had
it to do over, no laptop with a broadcom radio in it will ever be
considered for purchase.

Am I upset?, yes.  Apparently support for ndiswrapper has been removed,
so now I'm forced to use a radio borrowed from the motel, plugged into
the only ethernet port on this box.  Posts about it have been ignored
for the most part.  However, one side effect is that the motels radio is
about 10x faster than the broadcom radio ever was.

--
Cheers, Gene