Installing windows again with fedora core

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 9 14:40:17 UTC 2006

Zoran Spasojevic writes:

> I have a dual boot (Windows XP/Fedora Core) on my computer. First I
> installed windows and then fedora and everything works fine.
> Is there a way to reinstall windows from scratch without disturbing the
> fedora installation and the boot sequence/loader?

No.  Windows' installer will unceremoniously blow away the master boot
record.

But that's not a big deal.  Have your Fedora installation CD/DVD handy.
After Windows is done, boot off the Fedora DVD into rescue mode.  The rescue
mode should find your Fedora install easy, and mount it as /mnt/sysimage,
then:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
/sbin/grub-install

Exit out, and reboot.