FC5 2.6.17 runs hot with Athlon / athcool

Martin Ewing ewing at ewing.homedns.org
Mon Jul 10 04:31:51 UTC 2006

I am running 2.6.17-1.2145_FC5 on an Athlon XP2000+ using athcool.  On
previous kernels, my CPU temperature was about 39 C with athcool on or
50 C with athcool off.  That was really nice, allowing me to run a slow
fan, etc.  I had no stability problems.

With the present kernel and athcool on, I get 46 C, rising to ~50 C with
athcool off.

The kernel seems to be defeating athcool.  I.e., it is not spending much
time in the halted/idle state.

Is this a bug or a feature?  Any confirmations?

Thanks,
Martin