Looking for a laptop

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Fri Jul 14 05:07:12 UTC 2006

Todd Zullinger wrote:

The issue with suspend is often related to proprietary video drivers.
Newer Nvidia cards seem to work better than newer ATI cards currenttly,
but in my experience with both on several DELL laptops, FC5 has
functional suspend.

The first thing to try is to set your video driver to the open source
one and then test.
The second thing to do is to update your system (especially if there is
a new kernel) and try again.

If you get it perfect, don't update for a while.  There is no great harm
in waiting 6 months to update your FC5 setup if you get it 'just right'

Some of my users laptops have not been updated for a year!  Why bother
when its just what they need?  We are already way ahead on kernel
security, so unless there is a major CERT warning for FC5, leave that
perfect laptop alone! :)

The Lattitude D6NN for the past couple years all seem to work ok.
I have done a couple Inspirons with success, and will be testing a new
one in the next week or so.  If there is still interest I will happily
report my findings.

The point is this:  Every kernel update could be the one that fixes or
breaks your particular setup.  Keep trying!  FC moves very fast.  Don't
depend on a post/blog from a month ago because its probably already out
of date.  And by all means, air it out when there is trouble.  Details
are always welcome and enlightening, if not actually helpful sometimes :)

In terms of overall laptop driver support, the dialup 'WINmodem' is the
only 'broken by design' hardware in most laptops.  The WIN in WINmodem
is a Microsoft specification that made modems cheaper ($10.00 vs
$60.00-$100.00) by putting all port I/O processing on the CPU and not at
the serial port on the modem.  This was doen intentionally to 'break'
all modems unless they are run under Windows.  Remember that the
Internet was all dialup in those days and MS wanted a toll booth onto
the internet highyway.  This is one of those toll boothes that they
designed.  The specifications for the OS part of a WINmodem was never
released by Microsoft.

Having said all that to say this:  If you are dependent upon modem
communication from your laptop, you are looking at buying a $100.00
PCMCIA card (which almost always will work) or paying nearly the
equivalent for some commercial software that MIGHT make your WINmodem
work under Linux.