Failed to activate ppp0 with error 2, 6 or 8

jakubi no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Sat Jul 15 07:17:25 UTC 2006

> Phil Meyer wrote:
> You need to watch /var/log/messages.

What should I watch here?

> I assume that you tried to set up ppp using system-config-network or one
> of the KDE tools.

Yes, I have realized of this problem trying to activate ppp0 using system-config-network. Hitting the Activate button I have got the errors 8 and 6.

> # wvdial ppp0

I get (when disconected):

======
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: ATM0
ATM0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid phone number.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid login name.
--> Configuration does not specify a valid password.
======

and /etc/wvdial.conf is currently:

======
[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 115200
SetVolume = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM0
FlowControl = CRTSCTS
[Dialer ppp0]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Inherits = Modem0
=====

> This will show you what its trying to do.
> Make changes to /etc/wvdial.conf until this part works.

Not sure. Is the origin of this problem that phone number, login and password entries are missing in wvdial.conf?

By the way, it seems that KPPP does not use it. And what about Gnome-ppp? I can connect with both.

> Next, use system-config-network to edit your ifconfig script, or edit it
> by hand.

Fine, after solving wvdial I will go on with that.

Regards, Alejandro

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=99869&topic_id=23879&forum=23#forumpost99869