Failed to activate ppp0 with error 2, 6 or 8

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 16 03:20:00 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 09:17 +0200, jakubi wrote:
> Not sure. Is the origin of this problem that phone number, login and
> password entries are missing in wvdial.conf?

Mine is like the following (see below).  The first (modem) section was
set up when I added hardware via the "neat" program, the latter two (ISP
specific sections) when I added ISP dial-up details.  They inherit from
the modem section, and add their own modifications.  I could shift
common parts from them up into the modem section, but I never did.

Setting things up via neat does configure /etc/wvdial.conf and other
things, at the same time, for networking to work.  I found that if I
merely copied the wvdial.conf to another computer, with the networking
hardware already set up, dial-up didn't work.  Not when using if-up
followed by the ISP name, to dial-up, at least.  The corresponding
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-example.com file needed
to be set up, as well.

What you actually configure, will depend on what method you use to
connect.  I've never played with wvdial directly, nor dial-up managed by
KDE.  Using neat (GUI tool) or neat-tui (curses based) sets things fine
in my experience.  If you go some other way, you have to manage it all
yourself.

I wouldn't set a dial-up connection to "activate at boot" (description
from within neat).  It tries to dial-up while the PC is booting, and
doesn't succeed, for me.  That's a potential for other problems, too,
depending on how you pay for internet access.

"/etc/wvdial.conf":
------------------
[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 115200
SetVolume = 3
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM1L3
FlowControl = CRTSCTS
Dial Attempts = 1
Auto Reconnect = 0

[Dialer example.com]
Username = tim at example.com
Password = baNAnaJUICe
Phone = 0123456789
Dial Prefix = *44
Stupid Mode = 1
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT W1 X1
Inherits = Modem0

[Dialer example.net]
Username = tim at example.net
Password = grATedCHocoLATe
Phone = 8765-4321
Dial Prefix = *44
Stupid Mode = 1
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT W1 X1
Inherits = Modem0

"/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-example.com":
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Modem
DEVICE=ppp3
BOOTPROTO=dialup
AC=on
BSDCOMP=on
VJCCOMP=on
CCP=on
PC=on
VJ=on
LINESPEED=115200
MODEMPORT=/dev/modem
IDLETIMEOUT=600
PROVIDER=example.com
DEFROUTE=yes
PERSIST=no
PAPNAME='tim at example.com'
WVDIALSECT=example.com
MODEMNAME=Modem0
DEMAND=no

The following filenames are the same thing (linked files):
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-example.com
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-example.com
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-example.com

Looking through the above ifcfg- configuration file, you ought to be
able to see that some parts of provide the references to the correct
part of the wvdial.conf file.

I read messages from the public lists.