spca5xx freezes system

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 07:07:59 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 23:49 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 05:32:15PM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > >                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >How much are you paying him?
> > So being professional is only an entitlement for paid software?  Can
> > you post the rest of the MS Linux FD manual now so that I'll make sure
> > not to violate the rest of its rules?
>
> Being paid is a requirement for _expecting_ professional behavior. You may
> be pleasantly surprised to receive it from someone volunteering their time
> to work on a project, but it's arrogant and rude to *expect* service.

I gotta disagree with you on this point, otherwise any child could
hammer at the keyboard, upload it as gospel and someone has a trashed
machine. It's a matter of trust, peer review, teamwork and
responsibility. It's a matter of acknowledging mistakes, which humans do
15% of the time, and being responsible for them, as they will occur.
It's healthy to behave this way, as opposed to merely be appearing to be
'professional'. There are way too many clowns like that in the world as
it is, posing and wanting money.

Tim was looking for compromise, properly assertive, and offers to help.
The french guy decided to withdraw. Not healthy. Not assertive. If you
want the entire lecture on proper assertiveness, as promoted by the
mental health folks, I'll get it for you as I studied the living hell
out of it.

Tim had relationship value as well as a personal goal (working video
cam). The french guy has his working and didn't seem to care at all
about Tim's, showing no relationship value. Once again, forget
professional, it's not -mentally healthy- to place yourself in a
position of power and authority without an equal and attendant measure
of acknowledged responsibility, (which is the basis for my entire OAR
project on sourceforge) which has no price to be paid. If someone
claiming to be a Hero does not save the baby from drowning, he is just
posing, while people get hurt when they lean on the person who claims to
be responsible and in the real world, isn't. Tim gets disappointed and
none of us now trust the man's work.

So, if this guy claims to be the webcam goto guy and isn't, then I dust
my shoes in his general direction as he is not being assertive nor
responsible. That's the issue. Be responsible or step back. My machine
went ape after loading those drivers, and I had to step back two kernels
to even get my machine to boot. I'd rather have no driver than one that
seems to wreck my machine. It's one thing if he said he made a mistake,
it's another to say there is no mistake. Professional? Hardly. Pay money
for the -abuse-? Forgetaboutit. I'd like to send him a bill for 3 hours
trying to get that stuff out of my system. I'm certain it clobbered my
nVidia setup.

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256