How to boot grub in /dev/sda2 from removeable disk?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 16:07:33 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, Greg Smith <rys at epaibm.rtpnc.epa.gov> wrote:
> Work gave me an IBM Thinkpad T43 with Windows XP installed.
>
> I am attempting to install FC5.  For various reasons (including it not
> being so obvious that I have linux installed) I do *not* want to install
> grub in the MBR.
>
> The partitions are /dev/sda1 (XP) and /dev/sda2 (FC5).  I know how to
> install grub on /dev/sda2 (by checking `configure advanced boot loader
> options').  The doc says ` Your computer must have GRUB or another boot
> loader installed in order to start, unless you create a separate startup
> disk to boot from**'.
>
> How do I create a separate startup disk (CD)?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Smith

If the Thinkpad has more than 512 MB memory and a 600 MHz or faster
processor use VMWare's free Player or Server. Install FC as a client
OS.  When you need to return the laptop just uninstall Player or
Server and delete the VMWare folder and files. That way you don't
screw up your employer's property.