How to boot grub in /dev/sda2 from removeable disk?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jul 17 18:14:02 UTC 2006

Greg Smith wrote:
> Work gave me an IBM Thinkpad T43 with Windows XP installed.
>
> I am attempting to install FC5.  For various reasons (including it not
> being so obvious that I have linux installed) I do *not* want to install
> grub in the MBR.
>
> The partitions are /dev/sda1 (XP) and /dev/sda2 (FC5).  I know how to
> install grub on /dev/sda2 (by checking `configure advanced boot loader
> options').  The doc says ` Your computer must have GRUB or another boot
> loader installed in order to start, unless you create a separate startup
> disk to boot from**'.
>
> How do I create a separate startup disk (CD)?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Smith

If you want to create a Grub boot floppy, take a look at:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Creating-a-GRUB-boot-floppy.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622

For a boot CD, try:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD_002dROM.html

For the boot floppy, the Linux Journal article is easier to
understand. If you have a floppy drive, you may want to build a boot
floppy first, get it working the way you want, and then use that as
your boot image when building a bootable CD.

On the other hand, adding a boot entry to XP means you don't have to
carry around a boot disk. But it does not hide Linux as well.

Mikkel