MySQL BackUp

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jul 18 12:56:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-18 at 16:13 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On 7/18/06, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri at cbn.net.id> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 July 2006 13:00, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > > Hi ALL
> > > I would like to know the following
> > > 1) if i would like to take mysql incremental backup weekly
> > > cp /var/lib/mysql/ /backup/mysqlbak/
> > > how can i do it by above command as i would like to run cron weekly
> > > for take mysql backup.
> >
> > This is an excellent script:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup
> >
> > Then you can rsync the backup to other places.
> > --
snip

> Can I have incremental backup of MySQL Database and how do i do it

short answer -- NO.
Only if you had a transaction log that spanned the time between backups
would this even remotely be possible.

I would NEVER consider doing an incremental back up on a database.  The
data is only consistent at a given point in time and there would be an
enormous risk of inconsistencies appearing if the restore was done in an
improper sequence (even if it were possible, which AFAIK it is not).