Checking internet connection without a winbox

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jul 18 13:49:46 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> No, it's not an internal winmodem, it's a regular cable modem.
>
> I would imagine that a linux dialer program could do it. I did not
> know about the aformentioned kppp, and I'll look into it.
>
> As for Guillermo's suggestion about checking half/ full duplex on the
> modem, I see nothing of the sort in the modem's control panel. So I
> don't know one way or the other.
>
> In any case, the computer and modem in question are in Haifa and
> because of the current situation we are not returning there for at
> least a few more days. Good thing that I backed up the previous night
> and I have all my files, email, etc on disk with me here. When I
> return I'll look into kppp and see where that leads me.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://dotancohen.com

I think we have a terminology problem here. You do not dial out on a
cable modem. Depending on what your cable system uses, and what
modem you have, you may need to create a PPPoE connection, or
another type of link of the same type. Some cable modems, as well as
some DSL modems, can be configured to create this link for you, so
all you need to do is make a standard Ethernet connection to it.

The Windows software from the cable company creates the connection
between your computer and the cable company. There is probably Linux
software to do the same thing, but because your cable company does
not supply a pre-configured software package for Linux, we have to
know what they are using so we can advise you about the software to
use, and how to set it up. (This is why I prefer to set up the modem
to create the connection - it becomes an OS neutral connection.) You
can probably get all the information you need from your router. Look
at the WAN connection information. It should tell you the connection
type, and the username/password you need to use.

Mikkel