The Linux eternal problem with reading CD/DVDs...

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jul 18 23:06:13 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:

> Thanks, Les and Tony. I could after all mount my DVD disk with
>
> mount /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd
>
> (with /mnt/dvd created previously.)
>
> Conclusion: hal seems to be not working properly. In the past, I did
> not need to mount manually my DVD disks.
>
> Paul

You may want to check System --> Preferences --> Removable Drives
and Media Preferences - The storage and Multimedia tabs. You can
control what happens when you insert different types of removable
media. (If you are not running Gnome, then the menu chain will be
different.) Or you can run  gnome-volume-properties and get the same
thing. If auto-mounting is turned off there, then disks will not get
mounted. If the media itself is bad, you will also have problems
with auto-mounting.

Mikkel