How to downgrade a package to a specific minor revision

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 16:57:01 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
> Oliver Fuerst wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have the problem that I upgraded Postgresql server to the latest
> > revision 8.0.8. Unfortunately this gave me a compatibility issue
> > where my UNICODE database can be backed-up but not restored as the
> > UNICODE checking routines in 8.0.8 are much more strict (my database
> > contains some characters which the new checking routines reject). I'm
> > running Fedora Core 4 on a Dell PowerEdge 2850 (i386).
> >
> > My question is, if it is possible to downgrade all the Postgres
> > packages to 8.0.7?
> >
> > Best, Oliver Fuerst
>
> I did not do this myself, but some have stated that they dump the
> database before upgrading to a new version. Then they bring it in to the
> newer version. You might find information in the archives somewhere. I
> remember the subject being discussed.
>
> Anyway, to downgrade a package to a previous version, run the
> --oldpackage flag to rpm.
> Basically, download the older version and dependent programs to a
> directory. Then run the below from a root terminal and in the directory
>   where you have the older rpms.
> rpm -Uvh --oldpackage *.rpm
>
> You should then have the previous version installed.
>
> Jim

Smart Package Manager has the capability to downgrade a package and
it's dependent pacakges. All packages need to be available on enabled
repositories. Install smart-gui from Extras, click on the version that
you want, and smart will figure out the package combination that meets
your selection. Although I haven't tried downgrading with Pirut I
believe it too has that capability.